School GovernanceFollowing re-constitution, from 1st September, 2013, the governing body of Meols Cop High School now comprises of:
1 LEA governor
7 Parent governors
2 Staff governors
10 Co-opted governors (Quorate: 10)
Parliament has given a range of duties and powers to governing bodies under the Education Act. The governing body has general responsibility for the strategic management of the school and must promote high standards of educational achievement (Section 21 Education Act 2002). This includes:
- Determining the school’s aims and objectives, adopting policies and setting targets in order to achieve them.
- Appointing the headteacher and deputy headteacher.
- Making sure that the curriculum for the school is balanced and broadly based and in particular that the curriculum includes the National Curriculum, Religious Education and Sex Education.
- Setting appropriate targets for student achievement at Key Stage 4.
- Reporting National Curriculum assessments and examination results to parents and the DES.
- Managing governor's duties to pupils with Special Educational Needs under Section 317 of the Education Act 1996
- Managing the school's budget, including determining the staff complement and making decisions on staff pay in accordance with the current School Teacher's Pay and Conditions Document.
- Establishing and reviewing annually a staff appraisal policy.
The governing body and headteacher work in close partnership.
The Governing Body meets once a term but there are committees which have delegated responsibility for various areas of governance. These include:
- Finance Committee - Meets monthly
- Environment Committee - Meets monthly
- Curriculum Committee - Meets Half-termly
- Headteacher’s Appraisal Committee - Meets annually
- Safeguarding Committee – Meets at least termly
- Staff Discipline / Dismissal Committee - Meets when necessary
- Staff Discipline / Dismissal Appeals Committee – Meets when necessary
- Staffing and Pay Review Committee - Meets when necessary, but at least termly
- Staffing and Pay Review Appeals Committee – Meets when necessary
- Student Disciplinary Committee – Meets when necessary
- Student Attendance Committee – Meets every half term
- Complaints Committee – Meets when necessary
- DDA / Emergency Planning Working Party – Meets when necessary
GOVERNING BODY MEETING SCHEDULE – 2013/14
The Chair of the Governing Body is:
Mr A McQueen
The Clerk to the Governors is:
Mrs. S. Porter
If you have any queries concerning the school or your child please contact either of the above, in writing, via the school.